Mary Elizabeth Day Care Center
814 Court Street
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 30, 1997
Constructed in 1926 in the Italian Renaissance style of Architecture, this building is the first day care facility in the State of Iowa. It is also home to Iowa’s second oldest preschool which started in 1914. Mary Elizabeth Toy was the principal benefactor of the organization and with her husband, James F. Toy, she paid the total $58,280 cost of construction.