The United Orthodox Synagogue
(formerly Mount Sinai Temple)

1320 Nebraska Street
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 21, 1999
Dedicated on September 1, 1901, this Queen Anne-style synagogue is the oldest continuously used Jewish synagogue west of the Mississippi River. The Mount Sinai congregation (a Reform Jewish temple) numbered 32 members in 1901. By the early 1920’s, its membership had grown to almost 200, making it the largest Jewish congregation in Sioux City. In 1956, the Temple moved to a larger facility on 38th Street. The structure is now home to several earlier Orthodox congregations. Local architect G. W. Burkhead designed the temple; the construction cost was $5,500. The classroom (to the right), added in the early 1920’s, was designed by William L. Steele. This photo is dated 2000 after new siding was applied.